Monday, September 26, 2011

Keeping Up With the Joneses



Margaret:  I was listening to the radio the other day and a women called into the show to say, "I'm glad we're in a recession because now I don't have to keep up with the Joneses."  HELLLLLOOOOO!!!  Who ever said you HAD to keep up with the Joneses?  Recession is a mighty high price for the rest of us to pay so that she could finally feel uncomfortable spending more than she has.  But I am glad she's thinking more clearly now.  The world has too many 'Joneses' anyway. 

Bobbi:  Maybe it isn't the Joneses pocketbook she's trying to keep up with.  It could quite possibly be the attitude or the upturned noses of the Joneses that have her upset.  I don't think some people feel they have to keep up, it's they feel if they aren't keeping up then they aren't 'good enough' because they are intentionally made to feel that way.  I'm not saying to celebrate recession or that anyone deserves it, but it does give people much to think about. It makes people reflect on what matters most in life. So while maybe people like the Joneses are going through the humbling aspect of it...those who've been true in humbleness while times were good, I think could feel a sense of being justified that maybe the Joneses will finally 'see' them as individuals and not by the products they use, cars they drive, or what street they live on.

Margaret:   Unfortunately, I'm afraid a lot of the Joneses pride runs a little too deep.  And I wonder if even a recession will root it out of them or humble them.   But, the Joneses are not the only ones suffering from pride.  My stinging worry about what the Joneses think of me is a form of pride also.  Pride can be so divisive.  It divides into those who have and those who do not; whether it be money, education, employment, skills, cars and toys, fame or popularity, fashion, creativity, food, friends, health and even life experiences.  PRIDE DIVIDES.  It singles out the difference rather than the commonality.
Pride has been and always will be the downfall of nations.  "A house divided cannot stand."  So if a recession wakes us all up and serves to unify us then I guess I could be glad for a recession too.  But will it take more than that?

Bobbi:  One thing I know, most won't admit they're being prideful.  Maybe because they don't realize that's what it is because they classify it as 'love.'  The Joneses could be feeling they are making up for what they lacked as children.  I think they feel it is a way to show their love for children.  I remember being a kid and wanting so much what my peers had.  I vowed that when I had children I would do more for them than I was receiving.  I didn't want them to feel humiliated at times like I did.  So I think the Joneses could be looking at it as now they aren't under their parents home/money/rules and they have the ability to make money and make the choices they never had the opportunity to make.  Is it the right thing to do?  I don't know other than it seems to raise a more 'entitled' generation.  I do know what you are talking about as well.  There are individuals who are livid with those who make generous money and buy nice things. There are those who want the wealthy to feel guilty because of their wealth.  My feelings are...if they worked and earned it, they should not be made to feel guilty for what they have.  The irritation I have is when they feel those things make them a 'better' person than those without.  But you are right, rich/poor, thin/fat, black/white, old/young...anyone is capable of pride.  Some are just better at showing it.  And I feel those walls can come down, but history proves...over time it will always resurface it's ugly head.  Recession can be a wake up call, but it's not a cure.

Margaret:  VERY well said!  I know the cure.  Just not sure everybody wants to hear it.
I must admit there have been times during this last week and this last conversation of ours that I have been keenly aware of and evaluating my own thoughts and behavior and wondered where I was on the pride spectrum.  Do I build and unify or do I divide with my thoughts, words and actions?  It takes so much self-control!  It is hard work, but probably not as hard as trying to keep up with the Joneses!

Bobbi:  Bottom line:  Never keep up with the Joneses.  Drag them down to your level.

No comments:

Post a Comment