Monday, October 3, 2011

Liar, Liar



Bobbi:  For some reason that movie came to mind today.  I'm not sure if you've ever seen 'Liar, Liar' because it has some crude humor and I know how much you love that but there is a message within it that has always made me ponder.  What if you were cursed for 24 hours that you couldn't tell a lie?  Sure, it seems easy...but have you ever realized how many 'white lies' are told in a day?  Even if it's not malicious?  I've thought about it many times and yikes, it happens a lot.  Like when someone asks if they look good in an outfit and they really don't.  Or being invited to a dinner and the food tastes like roadkill, but no, you say 'hmm, thanks.' OR like today checking out at the register the attendant asked me how my day was.  I smiled politely and said, 'Fine, how's yours?'  Lie.  If the curse had been upon me I really would have said, 'Well, lady, it's been one hell of a week and today just tipped it on the crappy scale.  I don't feel like making small chit chat with you, so take your smiley chipper self and stick to ringing up my bill.'  Harsh, yes.  True in how my day was going, yes.

Margaret:
1st thought:  I'm sorry you've such a bad week!
2nd thought:  wondering if I've ever served you roadkill....
3rd thought:  if everyone in the whole world was under that same curse there would either be utter chaos or perfect order.
I think truly honest people will also be fair and kind.  It seems to me that if a person has learned how to be true and honest in heart that the other pillars of character would be strong as well; thereby administering the truth with a dose of respect, propriety, discretion and kindness. 
And another thing--just like in "Liar, Liar" it falls upon the parents to teach honesty to their children.  I heard recently about a mother who is suing her daughter's school because they (school administrators) disciplined her daughter for stealing!!!

Bobbi:  Wouldn't that mean that you would have to be pretty much perfect?!  I can make my actions polite and consistent, but that doesn't mean my thoughts are like that.  I like to think of myself as an honest person with a true heart...but my thoughts don't always coincide with that.  Maybe it's the makeup of my brain.  I'm quite positive that if anyone could 'see' my thoughts over a 24 hour period of time they'd swear they've entered into a 3 ring circus.  My mind goes a million miles a minute with things popping in that I can't always control.  And the 'things' are usually something people would see while being high from drug intake.  Trust me, the bad things I try my hardest to kick out...but when it comes to someone asking me a question, my mind goes immediately to a VERY honest answer...luckily, I've learned to use that brief second window to translate the answer into something polite.  That wasn't always the case. I only used to open my mouth long enough to stick the other foot in.  So, now you've left me thinking...is my honest self the one in my head or the one that I have tamed to come out?  If I had to be completely honest for 24 hours which 'me' would pipe up?
So the scenario with the student...I'd be interested in what she told her parent.  It could be that they have so much TRUST in what she's saying that she is giving them a great lie of an excuse and they can't bear to think that their daughter could lie to them.

Margaret:  So I'm thinking the "curse" would mean utter chaos!  The problem with the "curse" is that it takes away the choice of IF and HOW we deliver the truth.  Telling the truth and the IF and HOW we tell the truth are completely different issues.  The IF: Holding our tongue doesn't make us dishonest.  The HOW: We can tell the truth without any thought for the consequence or we can tell the truth with regard for others and their feelings.
You know what would be a funny movie?...The one where the guy has to tell the truth for 24 hours, but he has to sugar-coat it!!  "No, that outfit doesn't really look that good on you, but I bet it would look really good on Mildred."  OR  "I don't really like the food you're serving tonight, but at least it doesn't taste like roadkill."

Bobbi:  Is that your idea of sugar coating?  Those examples are just adding more insult to injury!  Wow, I sure hope you never sugar coat anything on me.  I think we should do a 24 hour Liar, Liar experiment between you and I.

Margaret:  Hmmmm....with or without sugar-coating??
You know, I had to serve dinner to a VERY large crowd this week and I just kept thinking about "roadkill"!!  I sat there watching them take every bite, as if in slow motion.  I was loving all the "yummy"s I was getting until I heard a 4 year old say, "I want something different to eat."  I know a 4 year old's taste buds need a little maturing, but I think I found her honesty very refreshing! :)  The interesting thing is I don't know how refreshing it would have been if I had heard it mumbled under the breath of one of the adults!

Bobbi:  Just goes to show this world isn't ready for the truth.  But if truth is what you're looking for, ask a 4 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment